NZTRI's Pacific Research Program Area undertakes collaborative and interdisciplinary research and development projects that integrate tourism with social, cultural, environmental and economic well-being in the Pacific Islands.
Areas of interest include:
- helping firms, communities and destinations to maximise the opportunities associated with the rational development of tourism in the South Pacific region
- tourism planning, policy and development plans
- sustainable tourism development projects
- government involvement/investment in airlines
- economic sustainability of South Pacific airlines
- development of curriculum for tourism and hospitality education and training
- economic, social, cultural and environmental impacts of tourism in South Pacific communities and destinations
NZTRI also has strong links within the Auckland University of Technology to the Office of Pasifika Advancement.